In this lesson, you will be creating an original story that includes text, drawings, photos, animation, audio, and video. You will use technology tools, such as digital cameras and computers, to bring your story to life. Story ideas can come from personal and family experiences, connections to other cultures, and real or imaginary people, places, or events.
- Enhance communication skills through asking questions, expressing opinions, constructing narratives, and writing for an audience
- Develop and strengthen computer skills using software that combines text, still images, audio, video, and other media
- You will be developing this 15 SLIDE story in Power Point
- You will upload to your WIKI site.
What to Do:Introducing you to digital storytelling
1. What is the first stories you first remember hearing? Explain
2. Who was the storyteller?
3. What were your favorite stories?
4. Which did you like telling themselves?Explore some story ideas
- You might draw ideas from personal experiences, special events, their community, their school or afterschool program, family, and pets.
- After completing your brainstorming session, discuss what story the you want to tell.
- Constructing a story with a topic meaningful to you will help you to learn of both the storytelling process and software needed to develop a digital story.
- What story are you going to tell!
- You may make changes to the draft at any time.
- Remember that the story — not the technology — should drive this project. Although audio and visual media may enhance certain aspects of a story, you should focus on how best to communicate what's at the core of your story.
- Develop the story frame by frame, discussing the pictures through which — and the sequence in which — you will tell their story.
- After you have determined the text and picture sequence, discuss transitions, visual effects (if any), and soundtrack.
- You can get your pictures from around school or on the internet for your story book.
- At the completion of your story telling power point you will upload to your WIKI. So that we can show the entire class.
- What did you found to be most interesting about digital storytelling compared to traditional storytelling.
Evaluate (Outcomes to look for):
- Student participation and engagement
- Discussion that yields insightful comparisons between digital and traditional storytelling
- An understanding that media can help make stories far more than just text